Saturday, August 29, 2026

 From That Sourdough Gal on FB

 

This loaf came out so perfectly... I modified my foolproof artisan sourdough bread recipe to make it same-day, which confused a lot of bakers who watched me do this on my Stories. So, I wanted to break down exactly what I did, with timestamps. 
 
The timestamps are to show you that there is flexibility in the process. As a recipe writer, I sometimes have to be specific for clarity's sake, but in reality, the timing is probably more flexible than you think. I rarely set timers – I just kinda pop in the kitchen now and again.
 
**8:45 AM**
Mix by hand and slap it around for a few minutes:
600 g warm water
240 g active sourdough starter
1,000 g bread flour
Cover and rest.
**10:15 AM**
Add:
20 g sea salt
40 g warm water
Pinch and squeeze it into the dough, switching to slap and folds to help it along. It takes a good 3-5 minutes. It'll be stringy and rubbery and weird, but just keep going. It comes back together, and that extra handling helps achieve incredible oven spring later on. Cover and let rest.
The rest of the process is easy peasy. Each step listed below took less than 1 minute, often even less than 30 seconds.
11 AM: Stretch and fold
11:30 AM: Stretch and fold
12:45 AM: Coil fold
1:50 PM: Pre-shape
2:10 PM: Final shape and put into bannetons. Put one banneton into the fridge but left the other on the counter.
4:30 PM: Scored and baked the loaf I left on the counter (I checked its readiness by doing the poke test)
6 PM: Cut into it and served it with dinner!
The following day at 2:30 PM: Baked the loaf that was in the fridge. Cut into it at 5:30 PM and served with dinner!
Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help add clarity to anything that might be confusing.

No comments: