Sunday, February 26, 2012

Minestrone and cheese bread

Have I posted a Minestrone recipe already?  I don't remember, I'll check.  Anyway, this is the one I made today;

A splash (2 Tbsp-ish) of canola oil in a hot pot.  Never start cooking in a cold pan.
2 onions, diced
6 cloves garlic
2 cups celery, diced
5 carrots, peeled and diced
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano

Once the oil is hot, toss in the onions and let them cook until they start to get transparent, then toss in the celery, carrots and herbs.  Oh, and a pinch of salt. Let it cook until the vegetables start to soften.  Put it in your crock pot.

Add the remaining ingredients;
one large (28 fl oz) can of pureed or crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup of cooked navy beans (or canned)
1 cup frozen green beans
4 nuggets of frozen spinach  (I bought a bag of frozen spinach that came in little nuggets.  You could use a solid brick of frozen chopped spinach or a bunch of fresh spinach chopped)
4 small zucchini, cut in half rounds
2 cups chicken broth
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley

Turn your crock pot on low and let it hang out for a few hours.  When you're ready to serve, cook some pasta separately.

To serve, put some pasta in the bowl, top with the soup, then garnish with some shredded parmesan and extra virgin olive oil.

Feel free to swap out any veggies you don't like, want or have and also feel free to use any kind of beans; kidney, pinto, black.




To go with this I made a no-knead cheese bread using this recipe.  I used half white (all purpose unbleached) flour and half whole wheat.  For the cheese I used a bag of shredded old cheddar.  Otherwise I followed the recipe.

No comments: