Monday, September 03, 2018

Oatmeal Pancakes

Every year at our church retreat, I volunteer to make Saturday morning breakfast.  Since we usually all arrive Friday night or Saturday morning, it’s the first big meal together.  Also, I get my turn at cooking out of the way and can enjoy the rest of the weekend.  Since the pancakes are made with oats, they are hearty enough to keep retreaters going until lunch time.

I normally serve these with a mix of fresh fruit, real maple syrup and copious amounts of bacon.  Double or triple the recipe to suit your needs.  The amounts listed below give you enough for 2 or 3 people.
3/4 cup oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sugar
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
Combine the oats, flour, baking soda and sugar. Combine the egg, buttermilk and butter separately; stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. 

Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown.
Enjoy!


**I wanted to make these gluten free, so I ground some oats in my magic bullet until it was fine and used 1/2 cup of that (oat flour) in place of the flour. They turned out great!

No comments: